Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Chicken Pot Pie



It was supposed to get really cold yesterday and it did! So, I felt like making some comfort food and something that would make us nice and toasty but that I could hide veggies in for the kids as well. I looked up some recipes for chicken pot pie and came up with this one:


Chicken Pot Pie

Filling:
1 can Healthy Request Cream of Chicken
1 can Cream of Potato
1 cup skim milk
1 bag frozen mixed veggies
5 chicken thighs, deboned and shredded (about 2 1/2 - 3 cups worth I guess)
1 potato

Crust
1 cup Heart Smart Bisquick
1/2 cup skim milk
dried herbs
1 egg

1. Cook your chicken and debone and shred with two forks. I used thighs because we have a lot of them since they were on sale a couple of weeks ago. Typically I would have used boneless breasts.
2.Peel the potato and boil for about 20 minutes or until soft through out but not mushy.
3.Meanwhile, mix the veggies, soups and milk. Add shredd chicken.
4. Dice the cooked potato into desired size chunks and add to the filling mixture.
5. In another bowl mix Bisquick, milk, egg and dried or fresh herbs to liking. Note: A whole egg made it very moist. Next time I might try just using the egg white and perhaps 1/3 cup of milk instead. I want more of a flaky crust. The herbs did give it a plesant twist IMO.
6. Pour filling into a rectangular casserole and pour the crust over it. Another note: I would also double the crust recipe if you use a rectangular casserole. I didn't quite have enough to cover the top of the filling as its supposed to.
7. Bake at 350* for 45 minutes or at 400* for 30 minutes. Note: I baked mine for 30 mins. at 400* and the filling was nice and bubbly and the crust was nice and brown.

I sprinkled some sea salt and pepper on the filling before adding the crust mixture and I thought it was enough. The fiance, however, added his own salt. All in all, I'd say it was good even though my potato didn't cook all the way, which is why I suggest 20 mins. instead of 15 mins. I think 5 minutes in boiling water should do the trick. My youngest son really liked it and asked me to make it again and the oldest said it wasn't the best but it was ok. He didn't like the veggies so much, but I think in time he will get used to it. I will definitely make this again!

No comments:

Post a Comment