Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Yummy pasta sauce

Oh ya! I made a delicious semi-homemade tomato sauce to go with our pasta and chicken that spurred this conversation between me and my 10-yr-old son:

Me: "Not bad for homemade sauce huh?"
Son: "No, I guess it wasn't bad"
Me: "Did you taste the onion?"
Son shaking his head: "No"
Me: "Did you taste the green peppers?"
Son with a very surprised look: "What green peppers?"
Me: "The ones I pureed in the sauce so you couldn't see them"
Son gives me sly look.
Me: "So, not bad for homemade tomato sauce huh?
Son giving me a sly smile now, "No mom, not bad"

Becky's semi-homemade tomato sauce

1/2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup onion
2 garlic gloves (more depending on taste)
1/4 c green bell pepper
1 can stewed tomatoes (14.75 oz I think) (*Note: You can also use diced tomatoes)
2 oz. of tomato sauce

1. Heat 1/2 tbsp olive oil in pot. Saute onions, garlic cloves and geen bell pepper.

2. Add a can of stewed tomatoes or petit cut diced tomatoes. Let everything simmer for about 10-15 minutes. (My burners are VERY hot so it only takes about 10 on my stove)

3. Puree the pot in a food processor, pulsing until you reach the consistency you want. For the kids sake, I wanted it very smooth and not chunky at all bc then they can pick the veggies out. Then, return it to pot, add some italian seasonings like basil, rosemary, tarragon, oregano and/or parsley. I added a little black pepper and red pepper flakes for a little bite (didn't add too much though). I also added a few drops of cooking red wine for flavor. About 1/2 tbsp worth. Let it simmer for about another 15 minutes to let flavors meld. Delicious!

Variations I want to try: I would like to try adding mushrooms next time. Another thought is adding veggies like carrots, celery or squash before puree. I think this sauce is going to help my boys get their veggies!

No comments:

Post a Comment