Monday, July 21, 2008

Going Green!

Something I have been trying to educate myself on is "going green". We have started doing certain things. For instance:

1. We now collect plastic, cardboard and aluminum. My dad actually recycles plastic and cardboard, so we are not only helping out the environment but also his business. A definite plus. It is crazy the amount of plastic we go through - what with water bottles, soda bottles, shampoo, conditioner, cleaners, moisurizers...seriously. We use a lot more plastic than we think.

2. I have been buying more and more organic products. This is somewhat of a catch 22 sometimes. Things like canned goods are USDA certified and the USDAs rules for getting "certified" are a bit lax in some instances because or pressures from the corporate world. I have been looking in to farmer's markets and co-ops in our area and cannot wait to be able to partake! This will happen within the next two weeks.

3. We are in the process of switching to energy efficient light bulbs. There is a stash in our utility cabinet just waiting for the next light bulb to burn out so we can replace it.

4. We donate. Everytime we go through our closets we put things things that no longer fit or we no longer want in one of those donation boxes at the school or various parking lots.

5. I try to remember to higher our thermostat to the air conditioner every morning. I have to confess, I was in such a hurry this morning I forgot to today. I do try to remember every day. Typically, I go down the hall again, make sure the doors are closed and the lights are off and then glance over at the thermostat and higher it to about 82 degrees. Once we get home it goes down to between 75 ad 77 degrees, but I read 78 degrees is ideal, so I will have to try that and see if the fiance can handle that. Usually it is a constant war between us walking back and forth with me turning it up and him turning it down.

6. I have bought certain non-food organic products. My facial cleanser and my daily moisturizer are both Burts Bee. I have looked at the hair products, but that may be a little harder. If you know me, you know my hair is a constant battle because of its thickness and curlyness/frizziness.

7. I try to wash and dry clothes in the evening. I'm not completely positive why this is a tip of going green, but I have heard it enough to think I should be doing it. Same thing with filling up your gas tank.

8. Turning off the computer when not in use.

Things I want to do:

1. Plant a vegetable garden!

2. Make a compost bin!

The things we are doing so far does make me feel better. Everyone always wants to complain about the problem but not be part of the solution. So this is me and my family trying to make a step forward!

No comments:

Post a Comment